Saturday, 23 April 2011

I found this

Here is a post I found languishing in my drafts. It's an account of most of what I did in New York. I'm not really sure what happened after this post finishes, but I know my last hours in Brooklyn were spent in the back of a convenience store eating fries from the mini diner counter and waiting for the 5 a.m. hot-off-the-press New York Times to arrive. It arrived quite late.


I woke up at 6:30 on Tuesday morning, made sandwiches (egg salad and tuna salad) and went over to Emilio's. We had coffee, and got a taxi because it was a special occasion. We got to the station really early for the train, picked up our tickets, and went to the newsagent's. I ate a peanut butter and pear sandwich for breakfast. Gavin and Sheehan arrived, and we got on the train. The journey was soooo long! I...

* slept
* ate crackers, sandwiches, cookies
* read The Lover by Margaret Dumas, which is beautiful
* watched about 15 minutes of Amelie but it didn't really hold my attention
* chatted and did crosswords with the others

we got to New York about 9:30pm. It was raining outside, the subway had puddles all over. By the time we got to Aaron's apartment and dumped all our stuff it was about 11. But I didn't realise it was so late, so consented to go downtown to find dinner. Emilio refused to go to Times Square on principle, so we ended up somewhere else, not sure where exactly, but nothing was open and we were very hungry and the weather was horrible. We met up with Kady, who's the other layout editor at the Daily, and eventually found a Greek place and got souvlaki. It was delicious, and there was a great, odd assortment of people there. Well, it was about 2am. Gavin and I went home, and Sheehan and Emilio took Kady back to her hotel. I woke up at 6am when Sheehan and Emilio banged on the window of Aaron's apartment, let them in, and fell asleep straight away. When we all eventually got up at about 9 or 10, they said they'd come back at around 3 but didn't want to wake anyone up, so they'd wandered around trying to find all-night pharmacies or diners to hang out in. The weather on Wednesday was much nicer, not rainy and not too cold. Gavin and I went with Aaron and some of his friends to a diner for breakfast and I had waffles, then we wandered around. We were at Union Square station, which is on a part of Broadway near the NYU campus, and the Strand bookstore. We found a vintage store with some amazing stuff, but I didn't buy anything. I almost bought a tooled-leather handbag that said 'Jesus is Lord' but it was $30. Then we went to the Met! I met Mayumi there. I only had time for about one wing, but it was all beautiful. All the paintings they have are amazing, it makes me realise how limited Montreal is! The quality of stuff at the Musee des Beaux-Arts just doesn't live up. I got a hot dog from a street vendor. Then I sort of forget what happened. Maybe it's better if I make a list of things that happened.
-- One night we got sushi, it was sort of expensive, but good (although the platter we got was sort of dull)
-- On Thursday it snowed snowed snowed, almost a foot. Sheehan and I wandered around Smith Street, where there were lots of great little independent stores. I got some fur-lined wellies and my feet were very happy. We stopped at a Cuban restaurant for lunch, and I got a delicious crab sandwich. Then we went home, then went back out to this discount store Filene's Basement. I found a beautiful alpaca coat ($70 instead of $500). Then we walked to the Strand bookstore, and met Emilio, and I got some good cheap books. We walked up Broadway and did some more shopping, especially at Uniqlo because I went to Muji but it was closed.
-- Thursday evening I sort of forget. I suppose I must have eaten, but I don't remember it.
-- Friday I woke up early, and went for a wander around Chinatown because it was the bit I got to know best while I was there. I had coffee and a bagel for breakfast, and went to Topshop and Muji. I got home around 12, and it was good timing because people were just waking up. I went with Emilio to P.S.1, part of MoMA in Queens. There was a great exhibit based around 1969, and the building itself was really neat (an old school). We went to the subway, but it was the wrong one, so we tried to go to the other one but we weren't allowed in because we had to wait 20 minutes to use our card again. So we wandered around Queens finding the next stop on the line, and took it to Chelsea. We went to a really overpriced diner, decided to leave, told the waitress we were finding an ATM and would be back soon, and ran away. There was another diner with tv on in Spanish and burgers for $3.75, and it was incredibly good. Nearby was a street full of independent galleries, so we went to a few and they were great. Then we went on to the MoMA, and I looked around the 1880-1940 wing.


Here are some photos I found of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment